Two Jewish settlers wounded in West Bank shooting

AFP , Friday 19 Jun 2015

Two Israeli settlers were wounded by gunfire in the West Bank Friday, but it was not immediately clear who was behind the shooting, the army and medics said.

One was in serious condition and the other lightly to moderately wounded in the attack that took place near the Dolev settlement, according to Israel's emergency medical service Magen David Adom, which stated they were in their 20s.

The Israeli army said the two civilians were shot while in a car and were to be evacuated by helicopter to a hospital.

The army said it was conducting a manhunt for the perpetrator of the attack, which took place northwest of Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Israeli media said the victims may have been hiking in the area. Authorities had so far not provided any details on who may have been behind the shooting.

West Bank settlements are considered illegal under international law.

Three Israeli settlers were wounded by a Palestinian who hit them with his car near the Alon Shvut settlement in the West Bank last month, with the Shin Bet domestic security service saying the perpetrator had confessed to carrying out the attack for "nationalistic reasons."

In April, border police shot dead a Palestinian who stabbed an occupation officer in the southern West Bank city Hebron.

*This story was edited by Ahram Online. 

Short link: