Muammar Gaddafi fans his face during the Forum of Kings, Princes, Sultans, Sheikhs and Mayors of Africa in Tripoli, 2008, (AP).
Libya's supreme court has ordered the release of six officials from ousted dictator Moamer Gaddafi's regime pending an appeal, the prosecutor general's office announced Thursday.
Seddiq es-Sour of the prosecutor's office told Libyan news agency LANA they would be released "for reasons linked to their health and age" and at the request of their lawyer.
He said that the appeal trial had also been postponed.
Tripoli prison authorities would be informed of the decision for the defendants to be released, he said.
Among those who had been convicted in July 2015 for their role in the violent suppression of the revolt which toppled Gaddafi were former minister Mohamad Belgassem al-Zwai and Abdelhafidh al-Zlitni, an ex-central bank governor.
A total of 36 accused in that trial were convicted, including Seif al-Islam, a son of Gaddafi, who was handed the death sentence.