UPDATED: Death toll in southeast Turkey bomb blast rises to 17: Governor's office

Reuters , Sunday 9 Oct 2016

Turkey
Smokes rise after Kurdish militants detonated a car bomb outside a military station in Semdinli near the border with Iraq, Turkey, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016. (Photo: AP)

A car bomb that ripped through a military outpost in southeast Turkey on Sunday killed 17 people, including nine soldiers, the provincial governor's office said in a statement on Sunday.

It said 27 people were wounded in the blast, of whom 11 were soldiers.

Security sources said the blast hit the Durak gendarmerie station, 20 km (12 miles) from the town of Semdinli, in a mountainous part of Hakkari province near the border with Iraq and Iran, where Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants are active.

The privately-owned Dogan news agency said the explosion occurred during vehicle searches on the road in front of the police station.

The PKK, which launched a separatist insurgency in 1984, is designated a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the United States and the European Union.

A two-year ceasefire between the group and Turkish authorities collapsed in July last year and the violence subsequently flared to levels not seen since the height of the conflict in the 1990s.

Search Keywords:
Short link: