Israel bars men under 50 from Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem

AFP , Friday 21 Jul 2017

Palestinian Muslim faithfuls pray next to Lions Gate, a main entrance to the Al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, on July 20, 2017, as they protest against new Israeli security measures implemented at the holy site (Photo: AFP)

Israeli occupation police said they were barring men under 50 from entering Jerusalem's Old City for Friday Muslim prayers as tensions rose over new security measures at a highly sensitive holy site.

The rare measure came after Israeli ministers decided not to order the removal of metal detectors erected at entrances to the Haram al-Sharif mosque compound following an attack nearby a week ago that killed two policemen.

"Entry to the Old City and Temple Mount will be limited to men aged 50 and over. Women of all ages will be permitted," a police statement said.

Tensions have risen after police installed the metal detectors in a move Palestinians and other Muslims perceived as a means for Israel to assert further control over the site.

The controversy has resonated beyond Israel and the Palestinian territories, with the United States and the UN Middle East envoy expressing concern.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has urged Israel to remove the metal detectors. He spoke by telephone with both Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas and Israeli President Reuven Rivlin on Thursday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stressed that the metal detectors were intended to ensure the safety of worshippers and visitors and not an attempt to disturb the fragile status quo under which Jordan is custodian of the site and Jewish prayer is forbidden.

Palestinians have been refusing to enter the compound in protest at the metal detectors, and hundreds have been holding prayers outside, with clashes occasionally breaking out with Israeli police.

The main weekly prayers on Fridays draw the largest number of worshippers -- typically thousands -- and speculation had been mounting that Netanyahu might order the metal detectors removed.

But after consultations with security chiefs and members of his security cabinet, Netanyahu decided not to order them removed.

An Israeli official said the security cabinet "has given police the authority to make any decision to ensure free access to holy sites while maintaining security and public order".

"Israel is committed to maintaining the status quo on the Temple Mount and the freedom of access to the holy sites," the official said in a statement.

Police said they had boosted their forces in and around the Old City, with units "mobilised in all areas and neighbourhoods".

The new security measures were put in place following a gun and knife attack near the site that killed two Israeli policemen on July 14.

Israel initially closed the compound for two days following the accident  in a highly unusual move, shutting it for last Friday's prayers.

It said the closure was necessary for security checks.

Israel began reopening it on Sunday, but with metal detectors in place to prevent weapons being smuggled into the compound.

Tensions have steadily risen since then. In the Gaza Strip, Islamist movement Hamas called for a day of "rage" on Friday.

In their Thursday conversation, Erdogan urged Rivlin to swiftly remove the detectors "within the framework of freedom of religion and worship".

"Given the importance that Haram al-Sharif carries for the whole Islamic world, the metal detectors put in place by Israel should be removed in the shortest possible time and an end put to the tension," the Turkish president said.

Rivlin told Erdogan that "the steps taken on the Temple Mount were intended to ensure that such acts could not be repeated."

The Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount is central to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

It lies in east Jerusalem, occupied by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War in a move never recognised by the international community.

It is considered the third holiest site in Islam.

*The story was edited by Ahram Online.

Short link: