A 28-year-old Palestinian man died Friday evening of injuries he sustained earlier in the day after he was shot by Israeli soldiers during anti-occupation protests east of Gaza City, various news agencies reported.
Dozens of Palestinian protesters were wounded by Israeli gunfire at the eastern border of the Gaza Strip, as demonstrators continued to gather for a third week of "Great March of Return" despite threats of force by Israeli authorities, Palestinian news agency WAFA reported on Friday.
On Thursday, Avichay Adraee, the head of Arabic communications for the Spokesperson's Unit in the Israeli army, tweeted: ''We renew our warning and call on residents of the Gaza Strip not to approach the security fence. "
Eyewitnesses have said on social media that Israeli soldiers used live ammunition and tear gas to disperse the crowds in Gaza, according to WAFA.
Gaza officials said at least 220 Palestinians were injured today by Israeli military with two in critical condition.
Media reports estimated 17 medics and journalists were also injured today.
Palestinian women participate in today's protests
The ‘Great March of Return’ protests started on the anniversary of Land Day on 30 March, escalating into bloody clashes with Israeli forces that had killed at least 33 Palestinians and injured hundreds before today's casualties.
No Israelis have been killed.
Over the past two days, the Aqfet printing station in Gaza has reportedly been printing both Palestinian and Israeli flags in preparation for the third week of protests.
Before today's protest, the Israeli army, which has been blockading Gaza since 2007, warned residents of the Strip not to approach the security fence on the Israeli border, the Ramallah-based Al-Ayam newspaper reported.
The Israeli army had announced on 1 April that it would not change its approach towards protestors.