Last Update 17:54
Monday, 02 August 2021

Libya's ex-envoy to France dies in custody: HRW

Human Rights Watch says Libya’s former ambassador to France has died in the custody of a Tripoli-based militia; a preliminary autopsy found the cause of death included ‘multiple bodily injuries and fractured ribs’

AFP , Friday 3 Feb 2012
Libya's Justice Minister Ali Humaida Ashour makes a speech at Ain Zara prison in Tripoli, February 2, 2012. (Photo:Reuters)

Libya's former ambassador to France, Omar Brebesh, has died in the custody of a militia from possible torture, 24 hours after he was detained by the armed group, Human Rights Watch said Friday.

The New York-based HRW said a Tripoli-based militia from the town of Zintan detained Brebesh on January 19 and that a preliminary autopsy found the cause of death included "multiple bodily injuries and fractured ribs."

"Photos of Brebesh's body, seen by Human Rights Watch, show welts, cuts and the apparent removal of toenails, indicating that he was tortured prior to death," the rights watchdog said in a statement.

It said a report by the judicial police in Tripoli also found that Brebesh had died from torture and that an unnamed suspect had confessed to killing him.

Militias made up of former rebels who fought Moamer Kadhafi's forces have been facing growing criticism from rights groups for allegedly torturing prisoners, most of whom are loyalists of the slain dictator.

Last week, Amnesty International and Doctors Without Borders reported "widespread torture" in prisons under the control of militias and of some officially recognised military.

The two groups said such cases were observed in the prisons of Tripoli, Misrata and smaller towns such as Ghariyan. Doctors Without Borders suspended its work in Misrata over these allegations.

On Thursday, Libyan Justice Minister Ali Hamida Ashur said the authorities would investigate all cases of "torture" in prisons and bring to justice those involved in it.


Short link:



© 2010 Ahram Online.