Last Update 22:23
Saturday, 17 April 2021

Gaza baby dies after respirator runs out of fuel

Palestinian baby Mohammed Helou becomes first victim of Gaza power shortage, dies after respirator fails

AP , Sunday 25 Mar 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1197
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1197

A Gaza man says his baby died after the generator powering his respirator ran out of fuel — the first known death linked to Gaza's energy crisis.

Abdul-Rahim Helou says his baby, Mohammed, relied on a respirator to help him breathe. Because of 18-hour-day power blackouts, Helou says he had used a gas-powered generator to keep his baby alive.

Mohammed died overnight Friday.

Helou said Sunday that he and his wife didn't realize how much fuel they needed to keep their new generator going and it ran out overnight.

A Gaza health official said the baby arrived at a Gaza City hospital dead, having choked on its own phlegm.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.