Saudi Arabia condemns France shootings

AFP , Monday 26 Mar 2012

In a statement, the Kingdom rejects terrorism and offers condolences to 'friendly people of France' following shootings that targeted a Jewish school, killing seven

Saudi Arabia condemned Monday shootings in which an Islamist gunman in France killed seven people in attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school.

"The council of ministers expressed the kingdom's strong condemnation of the criminal act executed by a terrorist in the cities of Toulouse and Montauban," said a statement carried by SPA state news agency.

The council stressed the "kingdom's position which rejects terrorism and all acts of violence that kill innocent people, and offered its condolences to the government and the friendly people of France," it said.

Mohammed Merah, 23, who said he had links to Al-Qaeda before being killed Thursday in an exchange of gunfire with police at his apartment in Toulouse, southwest France, claimed the murder spree.

He shot dead three French soldiers, three Jewish schoolchildren and a trainee rabbi in three attacks.

In the first two incidents, he shot dead three soldiers in attacks in Toulouse and nearby Montauban.

Then last week he opened fire at a Jewish school in Toulouse, killing a 30-year-old teacher, his sons aged five and four, and a seven-year-old girl.

Short link: