Israeli forensic experts gather at the scene of an explosion at a bus stop in Jerusalem on November 23, 2022. AFP
An explosion at a bus stop at the western exit from Jerusalem killed a man and wounded several.
A separate blast at another stop a short distance away damaged a bus and wounded three people, the hospitals treating the casualties said in the morning.
The victim was identified as Aryeh Shechopek, a teenager who was heading to a Jewish seminary when the blast went off, according to a notice announcing his death. Shechopek was also a Canadian citizen, according to Canada's Ambassador to Israel Lisa Stadelbauer.
The twin blasts struck half an hour apart, police said, noting that explosives experts were at the scene with police and forensic scientists "collecting evidence and scanning the area for suspects."
An AFP photographer at the scene said the blast had ripped a hole through a metal fence behind the bus stop, with an electric scooter and a hat lying on the ground.
The photographer said the second blast had torn through the side of a bus.
Jerusalem's Shaare Zedek hospital said a man had died of his wounds from the first explosion. Doctors were treating another person in critical condition, two seriously wounded and two lightly wounded.
Hadassah medical centre said it was treating six people injured in the first blast and another three people lightly wounded in the second.
Public Security Minister Omer Bar-Lev said he spoke with the police chief and was "briefed on the two attacks in Jerusalem."
Palestinian militant group Hamas, which controls the Israeli-besieged Gaza Strip, praised the bombings.
"We congratulate our Palestinian people and our people in the occupied city of Jerusalem on the heroic special operation at the bus stop," Hamas spokesman Abd al-Latif al-Qanua said.
The European Union's ambassador to Israel said he was "horrified by the terror attacks".
"I express my deepest condolences to the family of the victims and wish a speedy recovery to all injured. Terror is never justified," Dimiter Tzantchev wrote on Twitter.
Defence Minister Benny Gantz was holding consultations with the head of the Shin Bet internal security agency and senior military officials, his office said.
Since the start of the year, the Israeli army has launched near-daily raids on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, killings tens and arresting hundreds of youth and teenagers.
Following Wednesday's bomb attacks, the Israeli military announced two checkpoints near the flashpoint West Bank city of Jenin had been closed.