United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon addresses journalists in Kiev March 21, 2014 (Photo: Reuters)
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday condemned fresh violence in the Central African Republic over the weekend, calling for civilians to be protected at all times, a spokesman said.
Ban also called for the compilation of a list of individuals who "act to undermine peace, stability and security" as set out by a UN Security Council resolution adopted in December last year.
The statement said the UN leader was "concerned by the upsurge" in violence in the country, but did not refer directly to the killings of 24 people by Chadian soldiers in Bangui at the weekend.
More than 100 people were also seriously injured after the troops, sent to repatriate compatriots from CAR, opened fire on crowds in Bangui.
"The secretary-general condemns in the strongest possible terms all acts of violence against civilians, and against international forces working in the Central African Republic to re-establish peace and order," the statement released by Ban's spokesman said.
Ban issued a reminder that anyone involved in spreading violence either directly or indirectly "will be held accountable for their actions and brought to justice."
The UN chief "reaffirms the full commitment of the United Nations to help the Central African Republic emerge from the ongoing crisis and to build peace."