UN threatens sanctions over upsurge in Mali fighting

AFP , Friday 1 May 2015

The UN Security Council on Friday demanded an immediate halt to an upsurge in fighting in Mali and threatened to impose sanctions against those responsible for the violence.

The 15-member council said renewed fighting this week "threatens to undermine the peace process" and "demanded that the hostilities cease immediately."

The council recalled in a joint statement that it had threatened to impose sanctions earlier this month and said it would now "evaluate next steps" following the fresh fighting.

Tuareg rebel groups have clashed with Malian forces and pro-government militias in the north since Monday.

The Malian government and a coalition of armed groups known as the Platform have signed a peace accord, brokered by Algeria under UN auspices.

But another rebel alliance, known as the Coordination of Azawad Movements, or CMA, is refusing to sign on to the accord.

Short link: