Last Update 18:2
Monday, 08 March 2021

Two NATO troops killed in Afghan attack: official

An Afghan official with NATO forces revealed the death of two soldiers and the injury of six others following a Taliban rocket attack on the ISAF base in Nari district

AFP, Friday 18 May 2012
Afghanistan
Afghan border police carry bags of hashish seized in an operation near Jalalabad east of Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, March 19, 2011. (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 730
Share/Bookmark
Views: 730

Two NATO soldiers were killed and six others wounded in a rocket attack on their base in Afghanistan's eastern province of Kunar Friday, an Afghan official with NATO forces said.

"Two ISAF soldiers were killed and six others injured in a Taliban rocket attack on an ISAF base in Nari ditrict today," a local spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force said.

Two other local officials confirmed the account, while the ISAF press office in Kabul said that "two service members died following an insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan".

ISAF has around 130,000 soldiers fighting alongside some 350,000 Afghan security personnel against a Taliban-led insurgency.

They are due to pull out of the country in 2014, and details of the process will be hammered out at a NATO summit in Chicago starting on Sunday.

The latest attack came a day after gunmen dressed in Afghan police uniforms and wearing suicide vests stormed a government compound in the southwestern province of Farah, killing seven people and wounding 12 others.

The Taliban earlier this month announced the start of their annual spring offensive, a campaign of bombings and attacks that picks up every year as the weather warms.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.