Fourth NATO protester faces terror charges

AFP, Sunday 20 May 2012

US police says it arrested a fourth protester who faces terrorism charges in a separate plot to toss Molotov cocktails during a massive rally against the NATO summit in Chicago

NATO protests
Anti-war activists standing in downtown Chicago, protesting for an end to NATO operations in Afghanistan, Thursday, May 17, 2012. (Photo: AP)

 

A fourth man faces terrorism charges in a separate plot to toss Molotov cocktails during protests against the NATO summit in Chicago, police said Sunday.

The city is bracing for a massive rally and march Sunday afternoon along with around a dozen other protest events as the leaders of more than 50 nations open their meeting here.

The charges come a day after three men were charged in a plot to attack President Barack Obama's campaign headquarters, police stations, banks and the mayor's home with an arsenal of weapons that included beer bottles filled with gasoline, swords, a hunting bow and throwing stars.

Sebastian Senakiewicz, 24, of Chicago was charged with one count of "terrorism/false threat," Chicago police officer Robert Perez told AFP.

"It looks like he was attempting to put together an incendiary device," Perez said, adding further information would be provided at a noon bond hearing.

Fears that demonstrations could turn violent have put Chicago on edge, with some downtown businesses boarding up their windows and others telling office workers to ditch their suits and ties to avoid being hassled.

Police and protest organizers have vowed that there will be no repeat of the trouble that erupted at G20 summits in London and Toronto or the riots that scarred Chicago during the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

Several street protests held so far this week have been peaceful, and most of the 18 people already arrested were engaged in acts of civil disobedience, such as refusing to leave the building housing Obama's campaign headquarters.

Short link: