NATO apologizes for deaths in Afghan airstrike

AP , Friday 8 Jun 2012

This is the first confirmation by US, NATO official that civilians were killed in a coalition airstrike earlier this week

Afghanistan
Afghan men search for the bodies of people killed in a NATO airstrike in Logar province June 6, 2012. (Photo: Reuters)

The commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan has apologized for civilian deaths in a coalition airstrike earlier this week.

Marine Gen. John Allen flew to Logar province on Friday to personally deliver his regrets to villagers and provincial officials for the deaths of women, children and village elders in

Wednesday's pre-dawn raid to capture a Taliban operative. Afghan officials have said the airstrike that was called in by NATO troops during the operation killed 18 civilians.

Allen told the Afghans they "have my apology and we will do the right thing by the families."

It was the first confirmation by NATO forces that civilians were killed.

An Afghan doctor who examined the bodies and interviewed witnesses said insurgents prevented the civilians from leaving the house during the fighting.

Short link: