Two-thirds of healthcare facilities hit by Sudan fighting: WHO

AFP , Wednesday 21 Jun 2023

Around two-thirds of the healthcare facilities in areas hit by the fighting in Sudan are out of service, the World Health Organization said Wednesday.

Sudan healthcare
File photo: A ward at a hospital in El Fasher in Sudan s North Darfur region as fighting continues. AFP

 

The WHO said around 11 million people needed health assistance and voiced concerns about attempts to control ongoing epidemics of measles, malaria and dengue.

"About two-thirds of health facilities in affected areas are out of service," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a press conference in Geneva.

"Repeated attacks on health facilities, medical warehouses, ambulances and health workers are preventing patients and health workers from reaching hospitals."

The WHO has verified 46 attacks on health care since the start of the fighting.

Since April 15, the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has been battling the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanded by his former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, after the two fell out in a power struggle.

Renewed artillery exchanges rocked greater Khartoum Wednesday as the warring generals resumed fighting just minutes after the latest US- and Saudi-brokered ceasefire expired.

Tedros said the risk posed by epidemics would only increase during the upcoming rainy season, with limited access to safe water, population displacement and a little capacity to detect outbreaks early all playing a part.

Last week, the WHO issued a funding appeal requesting $150 million to meet the increasing health needs of people affected by the violence, and those who have fled to neighbouring countries.

"I am deeply concerned for the health and well-being of the people of Sudan and WHO is exploring all avenues for providing the support they need," Tedros said.

Short link: