Egypt’s finance ministry said it will publish successful international experiences regarding countering the COVID-19 outbreak and will publish on all the ministry’s online platforms Egypt’s preemptive and precautionary measures to contain the outbreak and its implications.
In a statement issued on Sunday, Minister of Finance Mohamed Maait said that the ministry is taking this action because it is mindful that concerted efforts are necessary in times of crisis and it aims to increase citizens’ awareness, especially with the imminent implementation of the plan to co-exist with COVID-19.
According to the statement, a briefing report about the Chinese experience in combating the outbreak was translated and published on the finance ministry’s website and its social media platforms, including diagnosis and prevention and treatment protocols issued by the Chinese National Health Commission and the Traditional Chinese Medicine committee (TCM).
On Saturday, Egypt registered a new record in single-day coronavirus infections at 1,367 new cases, the highest single-day increase announced to date, bringing the country’s total number of confirmed cases to 23,449 since the detection of the first case on 14 February, according to the health ministry.
Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said in a statement that the total number of COVID-19 deaths has now reached 913 nationwide, after announcing 34 deaths on Saturday.
Furthermore, 182 Egyptians fully recovered and left isolation hospitals on Saturday, which brings the total number of recoveries from the virus so far to 5,693.
As of Saturday, Egypt’s cabinet has imposed more strict measures that will last until mid-June in order to contain the spread of the virus, making wearing facemasks in public and private institutions mandatory, with a fine of up to EGP 4,000 imposed on violators.