Egypt’s cabinet is confident that Egypt’s security situation will improve quickly, and it will strive to restore business as usual, Minister of Industry and Foreign Trade Mounir Fakhry Abdel-Nour said on Saturday.
“We are confident in the capacity of the ministry of interior to restore law and order, and that everything will be calm sooner rather than later,” Abdel-Nour told Ahram Online.
Egypt was rocked by bloody clashes this weekend after a crackdown by Egyptian security forces on two protest camps by supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in Cairo led to violent clashes both in the capital and nationwide.
The cabinet, led by Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi, will meet on Sunday to discuss its response to the events, and its strategy for the coming period, Abdel-Nour told Ahram Online.
Egypt’s economic ministers will also be meeting separately, on Monday morning, to lay out a strategy, according to Abdel-Nour.
Several global companies, including oil company Royal Dutch/Shell, Swedish home appliances maker Electrolux, and General Motors have suspended their operations in Egypt since Wednesday, citing security concerns.
Electrolux said in a press release on Friday that it would resume operations in Egypt once the country’s security situation stabilised, and will continue its activities in Egypt.
The company, which employs around 6,000 people in Egypt, said that the country is one of its most important markets and that its decision to suspend operations last week was a temporary one made in view of the safety of its employees.
“These companies have not closed shop, they have merely told their employees to stay home” said Abdel-Nour, who expects Egypt’s public and private sector would return to -“business as usual” faster than the current situation may suggest.
“We are not worried,” says Abdel-Nour.