Egypt cultural tourism revenues see steep rise in October

Ahram Online, Tuesday 12 Nov 2013

Cultural tourism, which makes up 20 percent of Egypt's tourism trade, sees 253 percent rise from September

Egypt cultural tourism
The Giza Pyramids (Photo: Reuters)

Revenues generated from touristic visits to museums and antiquities sites recorded LE6 million ($0.8 million) in October, the antiquities ministry stated on Sunday.

Despite the whopping 253 percent rise from September, when cultural touristic visits churned out some LE1.7 million ($0.2 million), revenues remain sharply below 2010 levels.

In October 2010, the country's coffers received around LE111 million ($16 million) in revenues from museum and ancient site visits.

2010 was Egypt's tourism peak, when an estimated 14.7 million tourists visited the country, generating $12.5 billion in revenue.

According to the antiquities ministry statement, the ministry has suffered from limited financial resources. However, it has remained committed to saving LE53 million ($7.6 million) per month.

At the Euromoney Conference on Monday, tourism minister Hisham Zaazou clarified that global tourism trends are now geared towards leisure travel.

Zaazou pointed out that sun-and-sea tourism represents 80 percent of Egypt's tourism trade, while cultural tourism takes the remaining 20 percent.

Short link: