Morsi, Sabbahi and Abul Fotouh
Following the meetings that were held on Monday between presidential candidates Mohamed Morsi, Hamdeen Sabbahi, and Abdel-Moneim Abul-Fotouh, as well as other political forces, Sabbahi said that there is a significant possibility of forming a proposed presidential council between himself, Abul-Fotouh and Morsi, but Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood would need time to think about the possibilities for achieving this.
Sabbahi added that in the future, if the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF) did not respond to the people's demands, the public pressure must remain in all forms.
April 6 Youth Movement's Ahmed Maher, who was part of the meeting with the candidates, told Ahram Online that he doesn't think that there will be a direct conflict with the SCAF in the near future, and that this is a very critical time in Egypt and all political forces must come together and unite.
Maher also explained that in order for the people and political forces to back Morsi on his own, a lot of guarantees would be required.
All agreed on Tuesday's planned mass protest from 5pm in Tahrir, as well as the inevitability of applying the disenfranchisement law, especially to presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq, who was prime minister under Mubarak during the January 25 Revolution.
Acitivist Alaa Abdel Fattah, who was also part of the meeting, said on his Twitter account that the main points that were agreed on were that the runoffs must be stopped in case the disenfranchisement law was not applied, and that there must be "real trials" for Mubarak and his sons, and El-Adly and his assistants.
Abdel Fattah added that the presidential candidates Morsi, Sabbahi, Abul-Fotouh, and Khaled Aliwill lead Tuesday's mass protest.
The first meeting was between the presidential candidates, whereas the second one was between the candidates and prominent youth activists Ahmed Maher, Alaa Abdel-Fattah, Ahmed Harrara, Sally Toma, Mohamed El-Qassas, Shadi El-Ghazaly, and liberal MP Ziad El-Eleimy to discuss the same issues.
On Saturday, Hosni Mubarak and his interior minister Habib El-Adly were handed life sentences for their role in the killing of peaceful protesters during last year’s uprising. Six of the latter's assistants were acquitted of similar charges.
In a separate corruption case, meanwhile, Mubarak, his two sons Alaa and Gamal, and Egyptian business tycoon Hussein Salem were all found not guilty.
After the verdict, tens of thousands of protesters returned to Cairo's Tahrir Square and public squares throughout the country to question the integrity of Judge Ahmed Refaat who presided over what was described as the 'trial of the century'.
Demonstrators also denounced the presence of Ahmed Shafiq – Mubarak's last premier – in the presidential election runoff on 16-17 June.
Shafiq, who held many high-profile governmental positions during the Mubarak era, is seen as a counter-revolutionary force by many revolutionaries.