* The only previous meeting between Russia and Czech Republic was at the Euro 96 finals when they drew 3-3 in Liverpool. The result served the Czechs better as they went on to the final while the Russians were eliminated in the group stage.
* The parent countries of the two opponents, Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia, met in the semi-finals of the first tournament in France in 1960, the Soviets winning 3-0 and going on to win the title.
* Russia come into the tournament on the back of a 14-match unbeaten run in which they have conceded only four goals.
* Russia have met the eventual tournament winners at the group stage of all of their three previous finals. At Euro 96, they lost 3-0 to Germany and were eliminated with only one point from a draw with the Czechs. At Euro 2004, they beat Greece 2-1 but still failed to get out of the group. In Euro 2008, they lost 4-1 to Spain in the group and, after both teams went through, lost to the Spaniards again 3-0 in the semi-finals.
* The Czech Republic have qualified for all four Euro finals since the break-up of Czechoslovakia and have been relatively successful, reaching the final in 1996 when they lost to Germany and the semi-finals in 2004 when they were beaten by eventual champions Greece.
* The Czechs' home defeat to Hungary in their last friendly was their first reverse in six matches since losing to Spain in the qualifying group last October.
19/06/96 ECF Russia 3 Czech Republic 3 Liverpool
Key: WCQ = World Cup qualifier, ECQ = European Championship qualifier, Fr = Friendly.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO Sports / and Facebook AhramOnlineSports)