UPDATED: Israel kills 8 Palestinians in West Bank

AFP , Tuesday 14 Nov 2023

Eight Palestinians were killed in an Israeli army operation around the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian health ministry said on Tuesday.

Mourners carry the body of Issa al-Qadi, a 66-year-old Palestinian man who was shot dead reportedly
Mourners carry the body of Issa al-Qadi, a 66-year-old Palestinian man who was shot dead reportedly while driving his taxi during a military operation by Israeli forces earlier in the day, ahead of his burial during the funeral in Hebron in the occupied West Bank on November 13, 2023. AFP

 

 

Seven Palestinians were killed during an Israeli military raid on the northern city of Tulkarem, the health ministry and a local hospital said.

Witnesses reported violent confrontations in the area and a massive deployment of Israeli soldiers.

The Israeli army confirmed to AFP that an operation had taken place in the same part of the occupied West Bank, but it did not give a reason or comment on any Palestinian casualties.

In a separate incident near the southern West Bank city Hebron, a 20-year-old Palestinian was killed by "occupation bullets", the Palestinian health ministry said.

On Thursday, the Palestinian health ministry said 14 people were killed in an Israeli operation in the city of Jenin -- the highest West Bank death toll from a single raid since at least 2005, according to United Nations records.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war and its troops regularly launch raids across the Palestinian territory.

Since war erupted in the Gaza Strip on 7 October, Israeli forces have arrested more than 2,000 people across the West Bank, including occupied east Jerusalem, according to the Palestinian Prisoners' Club advocacy group.

The Israeli army has also killed at least 180 Palestinians during the same period.

Short link: