Hamas gives 'initial positive confirmation' on truce plan: Qatar

AFP , Thursday 1 Feb 2024

Hamas has given "initial positive confirmation" to a proposal for the cessation of fighting in Gaza and the release of captives, Qatar's foreign ministry spokesman said on Thursday.

Majed Al-Ansari
File Photo: Qatar s Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Majed Al-Ansari, speaks to journalists during a press conference in Doha, Qatar Photo courtesy of Qatar s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

 

US, Egyptian and Qatari mediators met with Israeli intelligence officials in Pairs on Sunday where they proposed a six-week pause in the Israeli war on Gaza and a captive-prisoner exchange for Hamas to review.

"That proposal has been approved by the Israeli side and now we have an initial positive confirmation from the Hamas' side," Majed al-Ansari told an audience at a Washington-based graduate school.

"There is still a very tough road in front of us," said Ansari.

"We are optimistic because both sides now agreed to the premise that would lead to a next pause.

"We're hopeful that in the next couple of weeks, we'll be able to share good news about that," he added.

The Qatar-based leader of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh, was expected in Cairo on Thursday or Friday for talks on a proposed truce.

Previously, Qatar mediated a one-week break in fighting that began in November and led to the release of scores of Israeli and foreign captives, as well as aid entering the besieged Palestinian territory.

Search Keywords:
Short link: