Ahly’s Director of Football Sayed Abd El-Hafeez. Photo: alahlyegypt.com
Ahly’s director of football Sayed Abdel-Hafeez said on Tuesday that the club is eying a number of experienced players to support the football team in the upcoming January transfer window.
“There are times in football when things become really difficult, but the regulations do not allow us to sign any players now, and for this reason we have to work on what happens on the pitch,” Abdel-Hafeez told an Egyptian TV station following his side’s defeat to Arab Contractors in the local league Tuesday.
The Cairo giants have not only suffered a series of defeats lately but the team has been playing poor football according to fans and pundits.
Ahly lost a record-extending CAF Champions League title to Tunisian Esperance earlier this month and then were eliminated from the Zayed Champions Cup against the Emirati Al-Wasl on Thursday before tasting defeat locally against the Contractors.
“I totally understand the fans’ frustration. It is a hard time as our supporters are not used to these results. However, even the world’s biggest clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid have times when they struggle,” the one-time Ahly star said.
He stressed that the club is now approaching a number of players to support the team.
“We are in the last phases of the negotiations with a number of players. The new signings will be announced soon.”
Abdel-Hafeez also called upon the club’s fans to back the team in this difficult time.
The team has resumed training today amid preparations for Saturday’s encounter against Petrojet, a game rescheduled from the 9th round of the local league.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)