A soccer fan is seen near a police car, which was set on fire by fireworks, during clashes between soccer fans and security forces in front of a stadium on the outskirts of Cairo February 8, 2015 (Photo: Reuters)
The Egyptian Football Association said it would pay LE500,000 to the relatives of the victims of Sunday's football disaster which led to the death of at least 19 Zamalek fans.
"We have decided to pay 500,000 pounds as compensation for the victims' relatives. Every family will get 25,000," the EFA said in a statement carried on its official website after convening for an emergency board meeting.
According to the health ministry, 19 people died after clashes occurred between the police and Zamalek supporters before an Egyptian Premier Leagie match with ENPPI.
Police claim they died due to a stampede, while the Zamalek Ultras White Knights said a criminal plot was pre-planned, blaming new security procedures that included a 'metal cage' at the stadium gates.
Investigations are still ongoing.
The match was open to the public, unlike most other games between Egyptian clubs since stadium riots in Port Said in 2012 left 72 people dead in the country's worst-ever sport disaster.
Earlier on Monday, the EFA has announced three days of mourning and a stoppage of all football activity in the country after dozens died in the stadium crush.
"There will be a meeting after the three days of mourning between the all concerned parties to discuss the possibility of resuming football activities," the statement added.
"The EFA urges Egyptian media to make sure everything they publish is accurate to avoid any escalation of the current situation."
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)