Ahly beat Wadi Degla, keep pressure on leaders Zamalek

Karim Farouk, Monday 16 May 2011

Mauritanian striker Dominique Da Silva produced a brilliant display helping Ahly defeat 10-man Wadi Degla 2-1 on Monday to move within a point from leaders Zamalek

Ahly Mauritanian striker Dominique Da Silva

Defending champions Ahly defeated lowly Wadi Degla to stay in the hunt for this season’s title.

All the action came in the first half as Abdel-Fattah El-Agha, 15, canceled Ahmed Nabil’s early lead in the 6th minute but Dominique Da Silva scored just before the break to clinch the full points of the game.

Ahly started with an early pressing that immediately paid off as Ahmed Nabil “Manga” scored his first senior goal curling the ball in the empty nets when keeper Haytham Mohamed was out of his area in the 6th minute.

The hosts enjoyed the majority of possession in the opening stages and Mauritanian striker Dominique Da Silva could have killed the game when he went clear on target only to be denied by Degla’s keeper while Mohamed Nagy “Gedo” with the goal at his mercy saw his effort goes inches wide.

Syrian international striker Abdel-Fattah El-Agha restored parity on 16 minutes connecting with Ahmed Dorgham’s precise cross.

Ahly reacted immediately with a string of chances and Da Silva came close from putting his side in front but his 20- yard rocketing shot crashed off the post.

It could only become worse for Wadi Degla when their goalie was shown the red card for blocking Da Silva’s lob from outside the area.

Da Silva finally got what he deserved restoring the Reds’ advantage on a powerful shot from outside the area in the dying minutes of the first half.

The hosts tightened a firm grip on the game after the interval forcing their visitors to drop deep into their own half.

However the frustration from being unable to exploit 70 percent of the possession was still looming.

Da Silva lit up the game in the 70th minute when he brilliantly ghosted past three defenders but his blistering attack was heroically denied by an excellent stretch from the keeper.

The chances kept on flooding in one way but the score remained unchanged until the final whistle.


Short link: