Former Portugal striker Nuno Gomes is not on the Ahly’s, the Cairo giants, wish-list said coach Manuel Jose on Saturday.
Gomes left Benfica earlier this week after the Portuguese outfit said they would not renew his contract. Media speculation suggested that Jose, who managed Benfica for a brief spell in the late 1990s, might be tempted to lure him.
“He is a high-profile striker and would be a valuable addition to any club he joins, but he is 35 years so it would be difficult for Ahly to sign him,” Jose said on the Red Devils’ official website.
“I never asked the board of directors to open talks with him over a possible move. The recent reports which said that were untrue.”
Gomes is Portugal’s fourth top goal-scorer with 29 goals in 77 appearances. He scored four goals in EURO 2000 as the team reached the semi finals before losing to eventual champions France.
He left Benfica after spending a total of 12 years at the club.
Ahly are on the lookout for a new foreign striker to boost their frontline, given the continued absence of Emad Meteb through injury and the failure of the likes of Mohamed Fadl and Liberian Francis Doe to live up to expectations.
Reports also linked Senegal’s veteran striker Mamadou Niang with a move to the six-time African champions.
Ahly declined to comment on that headline-grabbing transfer saga, but said they would make a final decision over the new striker next week.
They also insisted they are looking to extend the contract of midfielder Ahmed Hassan, whose current deal runs out at the end of the season. The Egypt skipper has been linked with a move away from the club lately due to lack of regular first-team opportunities.
Ahly, who are eying a seventh consecutive crown, are level on 49 points with arch-rivals Zamalek at the top of the Egyptian Premier League with six matches remaining.