Soccer players try to leave the stadium as chaos erupts at a soccer stadium in Port Said city (Photo: Reuters)
Egyptian international and Ahly players Mohamed Abou-Treika, Emad Meteab and Mohamed Barakat all announced their retirement from football on Thursday after witnessing deadly clashes between rival football fans following a league match in Port Said on Wednesday evening.
Abou-Treika and Moteab told Ahly TV that they and their colleague "would not play again" in light of the surprising violence that left at least 71 people dead – including one policeman – at Port Said Stadium.
Midfielder Barakat, for his part, didn’t rule out an eventual return to the pitch, but stressed his refusal to play until there had been “retribution for those that were killed.”
Ahly Coach Manuel Jose, for his part, has asked the Cairo club to cancel his contract to allow him to return to his native Portugal. He has reportedly decided to give up football coaching following the deadly incident.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO_Sports)