Last Update 11:2
Tuesday, 21 September 2021

Sassi likely to miss Zamalek's Champions League clash as club confirm COVID-19 infection

The Tunisian midfielder returned a positive result after having a second PCR test ahead of Zamalek's vital Champions League clash against Morocco's Raja

Ahram Online , Friday 16 Oct 2020
Ferjani Sassi
Share/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

Ferjani Sassi is unlikely to be available when Zamalek face Morocco's Raja in the first leg of the African Champions League semi-final on Sunday, with the club confirming that he had contracted COVID-19.

After several days of conflicting reports over whether the Tunisian holding midfielder was infected, Zamalek said on Friday that he had returned a positive result, shortly after he arrived in Casablanca.

The Cairo club also said in a statement that Sassi will have another PCR swab test, which would be his third. His first result was negative.

"We will continue to take all the precautionary measures until we know the result of the third test, in order to ensure the safety of all team members," the statement read.

Earlier this month, the 28-year-old denied that he had contracted the highly-contagious virus while on duty with the Tunisian national team, saying he only went into a five-day self-quarantine after he came into contact with an infected person.

His absence will leave Zamalek short of a creative option in midfield. Sassi usually partners the combative Tarek Hamed in the heart of midfield.

Zamalek are bidding for their sixth Champions League title and the first since they defeated Raja 1-0 on aggregate in a two-legged final in 2002.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.