Unfancied El-Geish stun Ahly on penalties to win Egyptian Super Cup

Hatem Maher , Tuesday 21 Sep 2021

Talae El-Geish win their first ever title after overcoming illustrious Cairo club Ahly in an exciting shootout following a 0-0 draw on Tuesday

 Egyptian Super Cup

Unfancied Talae El-Geish caused a huge upset after beating Cairo powerhouses Ahly 3-2 on penalties following a 0-0 draw on Tuesday to win the Egyptian Super Cup for their first ever title.

Goalkeeper Mohamed Bassam was the hero in Alexandria, blocking three penalties from Moroccan defender Badr Benoun, who was introduced late in the extra time because of his spot-kick capabilities, Magdi Afsha and striker Mohamed Sherif.

Ahly goalie Mohamed El-Shennawi was also impressive, making two fine stops including a superb one-handed save to keep the team's hopes alive until the fifth kick.

El-Geish had a chance to settle the shootout in their favour when Hassan Magdi stepped up for the fifth kick, only to see his effort blocked by El-Shennawi.

Sherif, Ahly's top scorer last season with an impressive tally of 21 league goals, could not force a sudden death though after his weak kick was saved by Bassam.

El-Geish were rewarded for a dogged defensive display that left little room for their opponents to operate in a drab affair, with even the introduction of new signings Luis Miquissone and striker Hossam Hassan failing to spur Ahly into action.

Sherif spurned a couple of easy chances either side of the break and El-Geish held on in extra time to avenge their shootout loss to Ahly in the Egypt Cup final last season.

This Super Cup edition was due to be played before the beginning of last term but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The defeat marked the second title for Ahly to lose in less than a month after their Cairo nemesis Zamalek were crowned Premier League champions, increasing pressure on South African coach Pitso Mosimane before the new season gets underway.

Ahly are the record winners of the Super Cup with 11 titles, followed by Zamalek on four.

Few opportunities  

El-Geish's resolute defending restricted Ahly to a few opportunities, with Sherif guilty of wasting the first-half's only real chance.

One minute before the break, Sherif was released by a deft pass from Amr El-Sulaya to break clear but his right-foot shot went wide of the post with the goal at his mercy.

El-Geish stuck to their ultra-defensive approach in the second half, with Ahly once again struggling for openings. However, the Red Devils still went close on two occasions.

Sherif squandered another good chance on 54 minutes when he was found by a pull-back from Tunisian left-back Ali Maaloul but his side-footed shot missed the target from close range.

Playmaker Afsha, who was otherwise a peripheral figure, also had an angled volley tipped over by keeper Mohamed Bassam following a neat exchange of passes with Mozambican winger Miquissone, who arrived in the close season.

The two halves of extra time were no different, with Ahly laying siege to El-Geish's area albeit without creating any danger.

El-Geish then prevailed in an exciting shootout to make history.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link: