Mohamed Zidan of Egypt (Photo: AFP)
Egypt’s coach Bob Bradley has decided to call three foreign-based players; Mohamed Zidan (Mainz / Germany), Mohamed Elgabas (Lierse / Belgium) and Ahmed Elmohamady (Sunderland / England) to take part in the opening African Cup of Nations qualifier against Central Africa Bangui on 29 February.
"The trio will not participate in the two friendlies against Kenya and Botswana on 21 and 23 February and will join the squad directly in Cairo four days before Central Africa match," Egypt’s goalkeepers coach Zaki Abdel-Fattah told Ahram Sport gate on Saturday.
Egypt’s Premier League was suspended indefinitely last week in the wake of the country’s worst ever football tragedy in Port Said that left at least 74 dead and scores injured.
Bradley was due to announce the squad on 8 February, prior to the start of a closed training camp, but these plans were put on hold following the disaster.
The Egypt Football Association (EFA) lodged an official request with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to postpone the match with Central Africa in light of ongoing political turbulence in Egypt.
The CAF is expected to announce its decision on the matter today following a meeting in Gabon. They are also expected to discuss the role of Egyptian clubs in the African competition given the current political circumstances.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO_Sports)