74 fans were killed in Egypt's worst football disaster (Photo: Ahram)
The revenues Egypt will earn from playing three friendly games in Qatar will be donated to the victims of the Port Said disaster, the national team’s managing director said on Saturday.
“Head coach Bob Bradley took that initiative. All the revenues will be donated to the families of the victims,” Samir Adly told Ahram Arabic Sports.
Egypt’s worst football disaster, which occurred on 1 February, left 74 fans killed when thousands of spectators from the Masry stands stormed the pitch at the Port Said stadium to attack Ahly supporters following the end of a league game.
The donation “is a sign of solidarity with the families of the victims, and it also highlights the role the national team should play in supporting the fans who sacrificed their lives for the sake of football,” added Adly.
The Pharaohs are scheduled to play Kenya on 27 February, Niger on 29 and Congo on 2 March. The training camp was initially due to be held in Cairo but was called off for security reasons.
Earlier this month, American coach Bradley donated LE60,000 and world governing body FIFA paid $250,000 into a charity account opened by Ahly.
All domestic football activities have since been suspended.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter:@AO_Sports)