Last Update 23:36
Monday, 21 June 2021

EFA boss says 'Egyptian League won't be cancelled', hints on Salah's situation for Olympic games

EFA boss reveals sending formal letter to Liverpool FC asking them to allow Egyptian Winger Mohamed Salah to take part in the U-23 team squad for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Mahmoud Elassal , Friday 2 Apr 2021
Mohamed Salah
File Photo: Egypt's Mohamed Salah reacts after he scored during the group A soccer match between Egypt and DR Congo at the Africa Cup of Nations at Cairo International Stadium in Cairo, Egypt, Wednesday, June 26, 2019. AP
Share/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

The Head of the Temporary Committee in charge of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) Ahmed Megahed announced that there is no intention in cancelling the ongoing Egyptian Premier League season, confirming they are in talks with Liverpool to allow Winger Mohamed Salah to take part in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Egyptian media reports claimed that the ongoing Egyptian Premier league season is expected to be cancelled due to the busy international agenda that includes the Olympics, the 2022 World Cup qualifiers and the teams' participation in continental tournaments, leaving no time to complete the league's games as per the previous schedule.
 
"[There are] no talks about the Egyptian Premier League cancellation, all reports regarding this topic are false as the committee didn't discuss it," said Megahed on a television programme.
 
"I assure everyone that the league won't be cancelled and it will be finished by the end of next September," the EFA boss said.
 
He also revealed that they sent a formal letter to Liverpool asking them to allow Egyptian Winger Mohamed Salah to take part in the U-23 team squad for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
 
"Liverpool management replied to our message saying that they [will] discuss the situation with the player," added Megahed.
 
"I am sure that Salah is eager to wear the pharaohs' jersey while participating in the Olympics if he could but it's not his own decision to make as he needs to discuss it with the club's management," said the EFA boss. "I hope Liverpool accepts our request," he added.
 
The Olympics' regulations for football tournaments state that each team is allowed to include three over-age players, while the rest of the players must be under 23 years of age.
 
The 28-year-old, has performed superbly since joining Liverpool in 2017, achieving great results, as well as helping the team win two long-elusive titles: The Champions League in the 2018-2019 season and the Premier League in the 2019-2020 season.
 
The young pharaohs booked their place at the Olympics after winning the U-23 Nations Cup on their home soil in the November of last year.
 
The 2020 Olympic games is an international multi-sport event scheduled to take place behind closed doors from 23 July to 8 August 2021 in Tokyo, Japan.
 
It was originally due to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020 but it was postponed in March 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.