Egypt U23 national football team director Alaa Abdel-Aziz announced on Thursday that they did not hold any official talks with Turkish team Galatasaray over the status of striker Mostafa Mohamed for the upcoming 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Media reports claimed that Galatasaray’s coach Fatih Terim refuses to allow Mostafa Mohamed to take part in the Olympic Games, as he needs the services of the Egyptian goal scoring machine when the team compete in the UEFA Champions League qualifying stage.
The young Pharaohs team started a closed camp in Egypt before heading to South Africa to face the latter’s Olympic team in two friendlies on 10 and 13 June, respectively.
“We didn’t receive any official announcement from Galatasaray about the situation of Mostafa Mohamed from participating in the coming 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo,” Abdel-Aziz told a radio programme.
“We didn’t hold any talks with Galatasaray, as the situation of foreign based players, including Ahmed Hegazy and Mohamed Salah, will be decided by the end of June,” he added.
“Mostafa Mohamed confirmed his eagerness to book a regular place in Egypt’s U23 national team squad,” Abdel-Aziz said.
The national team booked their place at the Olympic Games after winning the U-23 Nations Cup on home soil in November of last year.
Egypt were drawn in a tough group at the Olympic Games, along with heavyweights Spain, Argentina, and Australia.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)