Egypt beat Uganda, win first Nile Basin title

Monday 17 Jan 2011

Egypt beat Uganda 3-1 in the final of the Nile Basin tournament


The Pharaohs claimed the first title of the Nile Basin tournament on Monday, after beating Uganda 3-1 in the final.

Al-Sayed Hamdi netted twice in the 38th and 69th minutes, while Mohamed "Gedo" Nagy slid in the third for Egypt. Manoya Eric scored Uganda’s consolation goal 6 minutes from time.

The seven-time African champions made a confident start to the game and completely dominated play with their possession.

Mahmoud “Shikabala” Abdel-Razek and Mohamed Abou-Treika were in excellent shape, delivering some clever through-passes to their strikers behind the Ugandan backline, but they were hampered by the assistant referee who seemed to have his flag up constantly and gave some poor calls, as proven by the video replay.

Shikabala could have broken the deadlock midway through the first half but his powerful shot glanced off the bar.

The well-deserved goal had to wait until the 38th minute. Ahmed Samir Farag crossed the ball in the six yards to Al-Sayed Hamdi, who drove it easily past the Ugandan keeper.

The Cranes could have hit Egypt on a counter just a few seconds before half-time, but Massa failed to score from inside the six yards.

Uganda reacted after the break as coach Bobby Williamson brought in some attacking options. The visitors seemed livelier and managed to create some trouble for the Egyptian defence.

The Pharaohs' coach Hassan Shehata also made a few substitutions to revive his side and Hosni Abderabou, Gedo, Walid Soliman and Ahmed Eid Abdel-Malek joined the action.

It paid off immediately as Gedo delivered a fine cross to Hamdi, who doubled the lead in the 69th minute and increased his tally to five goals in this tournament and put him top of the scorers’ chart.

Turning from provider to scorer, Gedo intercepted a loose ball out of the box to drive it into the goal in the 81st minute, to open the gap to three goals to nil.

Three minutes later Manoya Eric pulled one back from the penalty spot but it was too late for Uganda to get back in the game.

Short link: