Egypt forward Mohamed Zidan (photo: Ahram)
Mohamed Zidan could return to the Egyptian national team fold if he is physically and technically ready, coach Bob Bradley said on Sunday.
The 30-year-old forward, who joined United Arab Emirates side Bani Yas in the close season after ending a seven-year stint in the German Bundesliga, incurred the wrath of Bradley when he skipped an African Nations Cup qualifier against Central Africa last year.
He opted not to take part in the game to discuss a move to an unnamed Chinese club. Egypt eventually failed to qualify for the 2013 Nations Cup following a 4-2 aggregate defeat by Central Africa.
Bradley hinted at the time that Zidan had no future with the team but he appeared to strike a conciliatory tone during a news conference on Sunday, three days before the Pharaohs face George in a friendly game.
“I do not reject Zidan’s return to the national team squad. I follow him like all the other players and I will call him up if he is ready physically and technically, and also if he is committed and eager to play for the team,” the American coach said.
Egypt are trying to arrange friendly games to make up for the lack of domestic action. All domestic football activities have been suspended since February’s Port Said disaster.
They will not play any competitive games until March next year when they host Zimbabwe in a World Cup qualifier.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)