Ghana crushed Egypt 6-1 in the World Cup playoff first-leg in Kumasi (Photo: Reuters)
FIFA "must be careful" with regard to the decision to allow Egypt to host Ghana in Cairo in the first leg of the World Cup qualifying playoff on 19 November, President Sepp Blatter said on Wednesday.
Ghana had repeatedly called on the world governing body to move the game outside Egypt due to lingering security concerns in the country, which has been gripped by political turmoil since the army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi on 3 July.
However, FIFA turned down their requests, giving Egypt the green light to stage the game at the army-owned 30 June Stadium in Cairo.
"We should be very careful because they (Ghana) fear something should (might) happen," Blatter was quoted as saying by BBC Sport.
"We are looking at this matter, there have been matches played in Egypt, international club matches, but we must be careful."
Two key matches will be held in Cairo this month.
Title holders Ahly host South Africa's Pirates in the second leg of the Champions League final at Arab Contractors Stadium on Sunday in the first match to take place in Cairo since the 2012 Port Said disaster, which left more than 70 fans dead following crowd riots.
A Ghana football official said on Tuesday his side will be monitoring the Ahly game, which he said would give them "a fair idea of the situation at hand" before they face the Pharaohs.
Egypt are likely to miss out on their first World Cup appearance in 24 years after they were hammered by Ghana 6-1 in Kumasi in the first leg last month.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)