Mido wants to remain with Ajax
“I talked with de Boer and he confirmed that I’m included in his plans, but he asked me to work on my fitness,” Mido told an Egyptian sports TV programme Saturday.
Ajax hired the 27-year-old striker in close season upon the request of former coach Martin Jol who resigned last week.
The decision sparked much debate on Mido’s future in Amsterdam. “I wanted to clear my situation, but now I’ll work harder to keep scoring and become Ajax’s number one striker,” the Pharaohs striker added.
The former Tottenham and Middlesbrough striker has scored three goals for Ajax this season, earning the praise of Jol who had said that he’s on the fast track to regain his renowned form.
He sat on the bench in Ajax's 1-0 away win over Vitesse, Sunday, after missing his team's trip to Milan in the UEFA Champions League last Wednesday. Ajax now have 35 points, three behind leaders PSV Eindhoven.
Talking about the recent reports linking him to a return to Egypt’s squad, Mido said, “It’s an honor for any player to join the national team.”
Egypt’s assistant coach, Shawky Gharib, revealed to the media that Mido is on his radar after his impressive performance at Ajax. The former Zamalek striker hasn’t featured for Egypt since April 2009 when the Pharaohs were held to a 1-1 draw by Zambia in the World Cup qualifiers.