Ittihad Jeddah coach Raul Caneda has asked the club management to keep Egyptian midfielder Hosni Abd-Rabou in the coming season, Saudi newspaper Al-Madina revealed on Saturday.
Abd-Rabou joined the Saudi giants on loan from Egyptian side Ismaily until the end of the season following the Port Said stadium disaster on 1 February, where over 74 fans were killed and many more injured. Since then, all domestic football activity in Egypt has been indefinitely suspended.
After his recent outstanding performances in the Saudi league, reports claimed that the Pharaohs star could extend his stay with Ittihad on a permanent basis upon the request of the club's supporters.
According to Al-Madina, Spanish coach Caneda has already sent a secret list of the players he wants to exclude next season to the club board and has reportedly asked to extend Abd-Rabou's stay with the club.
The 27-year-old player, whose current contract with Ismaily runs for another two seasons, quickly adapted to his teammates and recently said he was "enjoying his experience" in Saudi football.
The veteran midfielder has welcomed the idea of sealing a permanent move to Saudi's Ittihad Jeddah, but insisted he needs to get confirmation first from his club, Ismaily.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter: @AO Sports)