Liverpool contract talks with Salah break down: Report

Ahram Online , Friday 11 Mar 2022

Liverpool's talks to extend the contract of Mohamed Salah broke down after the Egyptian forward turned down their latest offer, British newspaper The Guardian reported on Friday.

Mohamed Salah
Liverpool fans wave a large flag of Liverpool s Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah ahead of the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg football match between Liverpool and Inter Milan at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on March 8, 2022 (AFP)

The Guardian said Salah and his agent, Ramy Abbas, "have dismissed the club's most recent offer and no talks have been held since December".

Salah's current deal expires in the summer of 2023 and he said more than once he was willing to prolong his stay if Liverpool made an offer that would "appreciate" him.

Earlier in the day, Liverpool coach Juergen Klopp said the ball was now in Salah's court to sort out his future.

"I think Mo definitely expects this club to be ambitious and we are. It's Mo's decision," Klopp told a news conference.

"The club did what it can do. It is all fine. All fine from my point of view. Nothing has happened further, no signing, no rejection, we just have to wait. Completely fine, no rush."

Abbas appeared to laugh off Klopp's comments by posting a set of laughing emojis on Twitter.

 

Salah proved a revelation after joining from Liverpool from AS Roma in the summer of 2017, leading them to the Premier League, European Champions League and Club World Cup titles in addition to other minor accolades.

He scored 152 goals in 237 games in all competitions with Liverpool.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Search Keywords:
Short link: