Egypt and Borussia Dortmund striker Mohamed Zidan has been ruled out for three weeks after scans showed up broken ribs.
“Zidan will be out of action three weeks,” Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said in a statement in their official website on Tuesday.
Zidan was injured last week only a few minutes after appearing as a substitute in Dortmund’s victory against Kaiserslautern. Initial tests suggested he would be out for a few days but scans showed he had a serious injury.
“The player felt pain despite having a week-long rest, so he decided to have further tests that showed the real extent of the injury,” added the statement.
The Pharaohs’ striker missed the Bundesliga leaders’ last game against St Pauli on Saturday, and now he is expected to return to action by mid-March.
“I will do my best to recover by mid-March to be ready for Egypt’s clash with South Africa,” the 29-year old player told the EFA official website.
“Ten days are enough for me to get fit ahead of the South Africa clash and I think that I could even be available to play a match with Dortmund,” he added.