Egypt's midfielder Abd-Rabou vows to return stronger

Ahmed Abd El Rasoul , Tuesday 23 Apr 2013

Abd-Rabou will be out of commission for a while, giving a blow to the Egypt team seeking a World Cup appearance for the first time in 24 years

Hosni Abd-Rabou
Hosni Abd-Rabou in the hospital after undergoing the surgery. (Photo by Ismaily official website)

Egypt and Al-Nasr midfielder Hosni Abd-Rabou will be out of action for five months after undergoing a successful knee surgery on Monday.

The 28-year-old, whose loan spell from Egypt's Ismaily was due to end in June, tore the cruciate ligament in his right knee during a Saudi league game last week.

"Abd-Rabou had a successful surgery. He will start immediately a rehab program and will not be available for matches before September," Egypt's national team doctor Tarek Soliman told Reuters on Tuesday.

The news of Abd-Rabou's injury came as a blow to Egypt coach Bob Bradley as he seeks to end the country's 24-year wait for a World Cup appearance.

Abd-Rabou, who suffered a similar injury in 2010, has scored 16 goals in 96 international appearances since making his Egypt debut in a World Cup qualifier against Sudan in 2004.

Recent Saudi reports claimed that "Al-Nasr management have decided to part ways with Abd-Rabou and they will pay him the salary of the three remaining months of his loan deal.

"Al-Nasr stood behind me as they offered a chance to undergo the surgery in Germany, but I preferred to do it in Egypt," Abd-Rabou said in TV declarations.

"Thank God for what happened. I am determined to return stronger," he added.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)

Short link: