FIFA suspends Congolese coach for 20 years for sexual abuse

AFP , Friday 20 Oct 2023

FIFA on Friday suspended a former youth coach in the Democratic Republic of Congo from football for 20 years for sexually abusing a youth player.

FIFA
FIFA logo. Photo: AFP

 

The governing body of world football said in a statement that Jonathan Bukabakwa had been "found guilty of sexually abusing a minor football player".

It said the adjudicatory chamber had also fined Bukabakwa 100,000 Swiss francs (112,000 dollars).

The case, said FIFA's statement, followed allegations on several media platforms of the sexual abuse of minors by coaches in different regions and leagues in DR Congo.

Bukabakwa was provisionally suspended for five months earlier this year.

FIFA said that following an investigation the adjudicatory chamber "was comfortably satisfied that Mr Bukabakwa had breached...the Code of Ethics."

FIFA said that the decision was in line with its "zero tolerance approach to all forms of abuse in football".

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)

Short link: