"I think it was the wrong decision."
- US President Barack Obama after America lost out to Qatar for 2022.
"I think the bid team have done everything possible, we couldn't have got a better bid."
- David Beckham after England's doomed 2018 bid.
"What did we expect? FIFA, as far as I'm concerned, is full of people who say 'yes' to your face and 'no' behind your back. England have little or no influence."
- Former England manager Graham Taylor.
"Hurray! Victory! Now we have to really prepare the way we stage the World Cup. And, of course, put up a deserving performance."
- Russia President Dmitry Medvedev.
"We also have a good league, we have extraordinary players, including our own, who are world champions. But, hey, I suppose that (members of FIFA's executive committee) had different criteria from us."
- Spain coach Vicente del Bosque after the joint Spain/Portugal bid for 2018 failed.
"We started off being written off, being the unconventional bid. And no-one thought we had a chance to win. On behalf of millions living in the Middle East, thank you FIFA for having such bold vision. We have a date with history which is summer 2022."
- Qatar bid president Mohammed bin Hamad Al-Thani.
"Soccer is dead to me. What a rort (scam). Who goes to Qatar to watch the world game? It's a joke."
- Australian fan Jeremy Tom after his country lost out to Qatar.
"It is bitterly disappointing. According to FIFA we had the best technical team, no one could identify any risks of coming to England. I think we had the strongest commercial bid and the country is passionate about football. But it turns out that's not enough."
- British Prime Minister David Cameron
"We had a very strong bid, sadly it didn't work out. Congratulations has to go to Russia, they won and well done to them. I'm sure it will be a very good World Cup."
- Prince William