Last Update 21:40
Sunday, 25 July 2021

Carvalho walks out on Portugal, says he’s retiring

Portugal defender Ricardo Carvalho has stormed out of training camp and announced he’s quitting international football on the eve of a Euro 2012 qualifier against Cyprus

AP, Thursday 1 Sep 2011
Ricardo Carvalho
Portugal defender Ricardo Carvalho
Share/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

Portuguese Football Federation officials say they have no idea what triggered the Real Madrid defender’s anger.

The 33-year-old former Porto and Chelsea player, who has 75 caps, said in a statement he felt hurt at the way he had been treated but didn’t explain what happened.

Coach Paulo Bento is due to give a news conference in Nicosia on Thursday, a day before the match.

Portugal is joint top of Group H with Norway and Denmark with three rounds to play.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.