United beats Everton 1-0 with Hernandez early goal

AP, Saturday 29 Oct 2011

Manchester United held off Everton’s strong challenge to win 1-0 Saturday and move on from their derby-day humiliation against Manchester City

Javier Hernandez
Manchester United's Javier Hernandez (L) celebrates scoring with teamates against Everton during their English Premier League soccer match in Liverpool, northern England.(Photo: Reuters)

Javier Hernandez’s close-range finish in the 19th minute was enough to earn the Premier League champions their first victory at Goodison Park since 2007.

Alex Ferguson’s side kept up the pressure on Manchester City at the top of the league and also went some way to erasing the memory of the 6-1 humiliation a week ago.

If Ferguson was looking for a response from his players, in the wake of the heaviest loss of his long rule at Old Trafford, then he got that here.

The Manchester United manager’s decision to make wholesale changes paid off, with the recalled Hernandez scoring the early winner.

The Mexican finished off a well-worked four-man move to tap in Patrice Evra’s cross at the far post for his fourth goal of the season.

United appeared headed for a comfortable victory but, despite controlling large periods, its inability to finish off Everton kept the game competitive.

Everton, who lost in a League Cup tie against Chelsea that went into extra time less than 72 hours ago, looked sluggish at times as United dominated without ever really testing home goalkeeper Tim Howard.

But Everton grew in confidence as Leon Osman drove straight at goalkeeper David De Gea in the 38th before Jack Rodwell could only shoot wide when well placed less than 60 seconds later.

Chances continued to fall for Everton, with Leighton Baines coming the closest to an equaliser as his 41st minute free kick bounced back off the crossbar and to safety.

Within minutes of the restart Rodwell had forced De Gea into another smart save from his 25-meter (yard) shot.

Manchester United was content to soak up the pressure and a swift counterattack saw Danny Welbeck’s shot sting the finger tips of Howard on the hour mark.

But while the visitors were forced to defend deeper and deeper, they survived few scares late with Louis Saha’s wayward shot the closest Everton came to snatching a point.



Short link: