Spurs manager Harry Redknapp had been expecting to finalize a loan deal over the weekend after the club emerged as the 35-year-old Beckham's preferred destination.
But Redknapp told Sky Sports News when arriving at White Hart Lane on Sunday that it was "all too complicated with the insurance issues" and the club then announced that Beckham will only join the squad to train until February 10.
"He will be a great influence around the place and I am sure we will all benefit from his winning mentality," Redknapp said in a statement. "I think everyone will enjoy having him here. We'd love to have him here for longer but respect his commitments to LA Galaxy.
"They wanted him back in early February so that made it difficult to do a playing deal on the basis of three weeks." The Galaxy had been reluctant to allow Beckham to go to Europe during a third consecutive Major League Soccer offseason, because of concerns he may get injured again.
The former England captain sustained an Achilles' tendon injury while at AC Milan last March and was out until September.
And the team issued a statement through The Associated Press in December saying that it expected Beckham _ and the rest of his Galaxy teammates _ back in training more than a month before the March 15 season opener at the Seattle Sounders.
In a statement, Beckham thanked the Galaxy for allowing him to train with Spurs.
"It's important that I maintain a high level of fitness during the MLS offseason," said Beckham, who also trained with Arsenal three years ago. "I look forward to getting to work as soon as possible." The former Manchester United and Real Madrid player is still hopeful of being recalled to the England team by Fabio Capello, having made 115 appearances - the most for an outfield player.