No deal yet for Podolski: Wenger

AFP, Friday 9 Mar 2012

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said Friday the club had not yet agreed a deal for Cologne striker Lukas Podolski but revealed there could be progress within "two or three weeks."

Lukas Podolski
Cologne striker Lukas Podolski

Podolski, 26, is reportedly poised to join the Gunners for 13 million euros later this year as the Premier League side aim to beef up their attack.

Wenger however was coy about the prospect of the German international striker playing at the Emirates next season.

"I have not a lot to say about that because if we sign a player we will inform you. At the moment we have not signed anybody. There is still no agreement," Wenger said.

"The distance to the agreement is not always linked with the signing. When you are very close you are quickly very far again, but Podolski is a good player, I wouldn't deny that."

When asked to comment on the likelihood of a deal being completed Wenger said the situation could change "in the next two or three weeks", adding: "anything is possible".

German paper Bild claim Podolski has agreed terms on a four-year deal that will see him earn an annual salary of around seven million euros ($9.2 million).

Podolski's contract with Bundesliga strugglers Cologne does not expire until June 2013.

He has made 95 appearances for Germany, is a veteran of two World Cups and was part of the team which reached the Euro 2008 final when the Germans lost to Spain.

The attacker was transferred in 2009 from Bayern Munich to Cologne, where he played at the start of his career.

Bild previously said that Cologne wanted 18 million euros for Podolski, who has scored 16 goals in 20 German league games this season—more than half of his team's total tally of 31.

Short link: