Manchester United's Brazilian winger Antony reacts during the Premier League football match between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, England, Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo: AP
The Premier League club did not say whether the forward would be available for selection after he was dropped from his country’s two upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
“Manchester United acknowledge the allegations made against Antony and note that the police are conducting enquiries,” the club said. “As a club, we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse.”
On Monday, Brazilian media published details of alleged domestic abuse by Antony against his ex-girlfriend.
The Brazilian Football Confederation said Antony would not be part of the team for games against Bolivia and Peru “due to the facts that became public on Monday.”
United had come under pressure for not commenting sooner, while Antony posted a statement on Instagram before being cut from Brazil’s squad, saying: “I vehemently deny the accusations.”
United forward Mason Greenwood was suspended by the club while facing charges of attempted rape and assault, which were eventually dropped in February. Despite that, United announced last month that Greenwood would be leaving the club and the player has since joined Spanish team Getafe on loan.
Antony’s ex-girlfriend reported him to police on May 20 for alleged domestic violence, accusations that he denied in June and again on Monday. Brazilian media published alleged exchanges between the two, in which the player appears to threaten and intimidate the woman on several occasions.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)