Stuttgart sack Labbadia after winless start

Reuters, Monday 26 Aug 2013

Labbadia becomes first coaching casualty of the season, Stuttgart yet to score a point

VfB Stuttgart sacked coach Bruno Labbadia on Monday, a day after his team slumped to a third loss in as many Bundesliga matches this season to sit one place off the bottom of the 18-team league without a point.

 "VfB Stuttgart have parted ways with head coach Bruno Labbadia as well as assistant coach Erdinc Soezer effective immediately," the club said in a brief statement.

A news conference was planned for later on Monday, it said.

Labbadia, who joined Stuttgart in late 2010 and saw his team lose 2-1 to Augsburg on Saturday, becomes the first coaching casualty of the season after only three matchdays.

The 47-year-old former striker, who has also coached Bayer Leverkusen and Hamburg SV, had rescued Stuttgart from relegation in 2011 and steered them to the Europa League the next season.

He celebrated his biggest success at the club when he helped them reach the German Cup final last season, only to lose to treble winners Bayern Munich.

The team's bad start to the season also extended to the Europa League where Stuttgart lost 2-1 to Croatia's Rijeka in the playoff first leg last week.

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter @AO_Sportsand on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports)

Short link: