2021 World Handball Championship logo
International Handball Federation (IHF) President Hassan Moustafa has said there are no plans to postpone the 2021 World Men's Handball Championship, which is scheduled to take place in Egypt in January, despite the coronavirus pandemic.
The championship "will take place in Egypt, and there is no intention to postpone it due to coronavirus outbreak," the IHF president told an Egyptian television programme on Thursday.
"The championship will be played in Egypt as the country is ready to host it," he said.
"I am confident this championship will be one of Egypt’s successful events,” he added.
The championship is scheduled to take place from 14 to 31 January 2021.
The tournament will be the first handball championship with 32 teams instead of 24.
It will be Egypt’s second time hosting the handball world cup, having previously hosted it in 1999.
Egypt has reported over 39,000 coronavirus cases since its outbreak began in February, as well as 1,377 fatalities.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)